Sunday, July 12, 2009

Bryce's Surgery


On July 9, Bryce had to go to Children's Hospital in Denver to have his adenoids taken out and tubes put in. I have been to the Children's Hospital about 4 or 5 times for Bryce to see Pat Winders for physical therapy. The place doesn't even look like a hospital. It has only been open for a few years. Inside everything is bright colors, soft carpets, fun couches, and toys everywhere. When we go to physical therapy on the fourth floor it is more of the same. Friendly faces, more fun furniture, play areas, and picture books. The room where we do physical therapy is basically a playroom.
Last Thursday, we had to go to the second floor for Bryce to have his surgery. In the waiting room, there is an amazing fish tank, chairs with duck feet and more toys. But, then when they called us back and opened the big doors, I found out what was hiding back there. It was an actual hospital. I find it very amusing how surprised I was to walk into an area that looked like a hospital. I don't know what I was expecting, the doctors to operate with toy doctor kits like my kids play with, but this was the real deal. No more soft carpets and duck feet.
The nurses were incredibly nice. They all fawned over how cute Bryce is. I was really nervous. I know that adenoids and tubes aren't a major surgery, but it's still a surgery. I even had this exact surgery when I was a little girl. It scared me that he would have to be put completely under. David and I went back to the operating room while they put him under. It took longer than I thought it would for him to fall asleep. But, time was moving at a strange pace that day. After Bryce went to sleep, David and I went out to the waiting room. The surgery itself only took about 30 minutes. I couldn't do anything during the surgery except sit there and wait and go to the bathroom 3 times. Too much coffee or just nervous behavior, I'm not sure. David couldn't believe it.
After the surgery, we went back as soon as he woke up. The nurse couldn't believe how well he was doing. She said she had never seen a baby his age, Down syndrome or not, do so well after this surgery. He did do great, but there was one problem. The anesthesia wired him. I thought he would be groggy and tired, but he didn't take a nap the entire day. His surgery was at 8:45 in the morning. Our doctor told us to be ready to spend the night at the hospital, but there was a chance we could go home that day. We were able to leave by about 12:30 that afternoon. Bryce did fall asleep in the car on the way home, but that was all he slept the entire day. He just cried and wanted to be held and was pretty miserable all day long. All I could give him was Tylenol. I don't know if it helped that much. Bryce finally went to sleep around 6:45 that night. Then one hour later, he woke up. I thought oh no, he's going to be up all night. Luckily he was due for more Tylenol at that time and he went right back to sleep.
It has been 3 days since his surgery, Bryce has had his ups and downs. He's had a fever and been pretty yucky since his surgery. But, I'm glad he's sleeping better now and napping.
The reason for the surgery in the first place was that Bryce seems to have chronic fluid in his ears. He has not done well on his hearing tests lately either. His nose is congested most of the time. The surgery should help with his hearing, speaking eventually, and balance. For those reasons, he really needed the surgery and I'm glad he got it. I was so nervous. I'm so glad it's over.

2 comments:

  1. Hi! Found you thru DS New Mama's blog. I'm Ria from the "Bill and Ria" blog. Thanks for sharing your experience with the adenoid surgery. We have had this on our minds for our little man but I think we're waiting to see how he does over the summer and as he gets older. He's 21 months old now. I wrote about it in http://billandria.blogspot.com/2009/06/ent-appointment-surgery.html.
    Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself and say hi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Em had that done as well, and they probed her eye ducts at the same time. I was amazed at how quickly she bounced back! She also had some ups and downs, but it was less painful (for us both) than I had anticipated! I'm glad he is feeling better!

    ReplyDelete