Saturday, January 24, 2009

A Glimpse into the Public School System

Today Bryce turned 9 months old.  While he is still very much a baby, I have already come face to face with some of his future in the public school system.  The reason being that Payton will be starting kindergarden next year.  One of my fears when we first found out that Bryce had Down syndrome was the prejudice he could face.  As I have been put into contact with the Down syndrome community over the past 9 months, my fears of this have been somewhat put to rest.  Things are much better now than they used to be they say.  The stereotypes aren't what they used to be they say.  I believed them and I still do believe them to some extent, but not completely.  

About three months ago, I went to look at a Charter School that is in our school district for Payton to attend next year.  There is a long waiting list to get into this school.  To attend the school, there is a lottery system and one just has to hope and pray that their number is picked.  Some of the advantages of this school are smaller class sizes, uniforms, Spanish starting in kindergarden, music in all grades, traditional school schedule (we have year round schools), mandatory parent involvement, autonomy from the school district, among many other reasons. Since my tour, the school bond did not pass in our district and most of the schools will be undergoing major budget cuts in the upcoming school year. The Charter school won't be as affected by these budget cuts.  At the end of the tour, I asked the administrator conducting the tour about students with special needs.  I told her that my baby had Down syndrome and we were hoping he would attend the same school as his siblings.  She flat out said to me, "oh we don't have the space, resources, or budget for a student with such significant special needs as a child with Down syndrome."  Wait a minute, this is a public school, what about a free and appropriate education for all?  What about the Individuals with Disabilities Act?  What?  What?  What?  I was so shocked, hurt, and angry by her response that I didn't know what to say.  I did manage to ask if they had ever had any students with any kind of special needs like autism.  She replied that one time a little boy in kindergarden had autism, but it just didn't work out and he had to switch schools.  

I couldn't believe the prejudice I was already facing.  Bryce was 6 months old for God's sake! Through some research I have done since then, by law, that school has to accept Bryce as a student (that is if Payton even gets in.)  I was pretty sure about that going into the tour that is why I was so incredulous at that administrator's response.  

Fast forward to a few weeks ago when I had my second glimpse into the public school system.  I had to enroll Payton in the neighborhood elementary school just in case she doesn't get into the charter school.  As I wrote, the schools here are year round, so there are 4 different "tracks" into which the students are divided.  One of my neighbors, I'll call Steve because that is not his name, teaches at the neighborhood school Payton would attend.  I mentioned to Steve that I had enrolled Payton at his school, but was a little unsure about the tracks.  He said he could tell me about the tracks.  He proceeded to explain that "B" track is the most like a traditional school calendar, but that is where they place most of the "Speds".  "Speds?" I have never heard this DEROGATORY term in my life.  He meant the students in special education.  He went on that since the "Speds" are in "B" track that a lot of parents don't want their children to be in this track because they don't want to have to "deal with it".  I couldn't believe what I was hearing.  This guy lives across the street from me.  It hurts me to say that his wife is one of my friends.  Did he not know that Bryce has Down syndrome?  Did he not care?  Did he forget?  He is a teacher!  He is supposed to be one of the understanding ones.  He is supposed to be a part of the safe world for Bryce.  

It makes me mad.  I'm not afraid to fight for Bryce.  I will do it.  I will get him into the school that is best for him.  I can already see at the tender age of 9 months, the obstacles that are ahead.  I say bring it on.  Get ready, because we are coming.  That Charter school has 5 years to get ready for us!  Both of these "educators" have A LOT to learn about compassion, understanding, and love.

3 comments:

  1. Yike. This sounds bad, and I'd be upset, too. So the birth of an advocate-mama begins...and you are not alone! You are not alone.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even hearing the story first hand, as I read this, I am crying. We will fight with you every step of the way. I promise.

    ReplyDelete