Sunday, January 18, 2009

Introduction


Well I thought I would try out this blogging thing.  It seems like the thing to do.  I've been wanting to start writing, so why not start in a very casual way like a blog.  But, I'm not even sure what I'm doing right now.  I'll be lucky if this ends up published or if anyone besides my husband actually reads this.  

I'm not feeling too prophetic right now.  I just posted two other essays I worked on a few weeks ago.  That took longer than I thought so my creativity is waning.  

Why even start a blog?  It's for so many different reasons.  As I already said to start writing.  But also to record my life with my husband and 3 kids.  It seems to give perspective on things when I write about them.  I have felt that way since I was about 12 years old and started journaling.  I have about 10 journals from middle and high school that I cringe to think about.  They are so filled with teenage suffering, that I don't want to think or read about any of it.  I should probably burn those things.  

If I blog, I will document the little every day occurrences that I would otherwise forget about.  Like today for instance, I met David, Payton and Braydon at the park.  I took Bryce in the stroller.  Normally, I put him in the infant carrier and he can't see anything.  Today, for the first time, I put him in a regular stroller so he could see the world and the world could see him.  He is 8 months old and I know with the other two they were already sitting up and facing the world by then.  But I think I have been protecting Bryce or really me from the world.  Bryce has Down syndrome and when he was in the infant carrier no one could see him.  If I kept him covered I wouldn't have to answer any questions from strangers about him.  I just wasn't ready yet to answer questions.  Of course they have come up already, but this was just another way to protect him or really me.  But, today, I felt confident and ready.  It was a perfect beautiful sunny Colorado day.  60 degrees, blue skies, perfect.  I put Bryce in that stroller, he smiled, I smiled, and off we went.  No strangers said anything to me.  I was just any mom with any kid at any park.    



3 comments:

  1. Hi! I found your blog thorugh BBC and look forward to following your journey. I have a 6 year old daughter, 4 and 2 year old boys, then my 10 month old son who has Down syndrome - so you and I have very similar families!
    I'm glad your first walk with Bryce facing the world went well. I bet he loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello fellow Coloradan! Welcome to the blog world. What a treat to meet beautiful Bryce.
    If your north of Denver I'm having a get-together next week for a bunch of other "DS" moms. You can email me through my blog if you are interested :) The more the merrier!

    www.willswebplace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm reading, too! Montana is nearly Colorado...Mountain West, anyway!

    xo

    ReplyDelete